Friday, January 27, 2017

Five (Four) Things Friday

It's been a while since my last Five Things Friday post.  There are a few semi-connected things going on, so I thought I'd see if they add up to five!

I'm almost three weeks out from my surgery.  I had my two week check-in with my doctor this week and I'm cleared to drive again, but I'm still off of work and under orders to be careful and not push myself.  The incision is healing and no longer covered with steri-strips, but the internal healing takes a while.  I'm feeling a lot better, but I'm still not at 100%.  Hopefully after next week I can go back to work.  It's been three weeks since the surgery, but since it took place at the end of Christmas break, I've actually been off for five weeks now.  I'm ready for human contact again!

Before this all became an emergency and I thought I had time to plan for surgery, I was online and reading books looking for advice on how to handle everything.  One of the suggestions I kept finding was to get some high-waisted panties so the waistband doesn't rub the incision on your bikini line.  I had it in my mind to get some, but everything happened really fast.  After she took me home from the hospital, my mom went out to pick up my prescriptions and I asked her to grab a package of some of these for me.  I have to say after wearing them for the last few weeks, I really like them!  They may not be sexy, but hey, I'm single.  The only person who sees them is me, and they're comfortable.  I just may keep wearing them for a while!

Its getting obvious that I'm not going to be up to snuff for the Spring race season. I'm determined to do all I can to get through the Tinker Bell Half in May, but I'm not going to push any more than that now.   I'll have to wait for Fall.   There are two 10K's that I've registered for.  I'll probably find a half for Halloween and maybe a Christmas themed one.  Then in 2018 I'll set a larger goal to make up for the loss of almost a year with all of this medical stuff.

This statement is strangely true, isn't it?  I know someone with a chronic health issue that comes and goes and she has always said that she really finds out who her true friends are when she has difficulty.  I've dealt with my problem for about two years, but it's only in the last year that I told a few close friends about it. When it started to affect their fun, or more accurately their perception of me interrupting their fun, I saw who stuck around and who I don't hear from at all now.  On the other hand, after this surgery I've received such an outpouring of concern from people that it's brought tears to my eyes on occasion.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to ever have to deal with anything like this again.  I don't want anyone I know to have to deal with anything like this, but knowing that there are people who truly care, either because of friendship or just because they're decent human beings is very heartening.

Made it to four!  Maybe one Friday soon I'll make it to five.

4 comments:

  1. It's the truth about the friends. Kind of sad, isn't it? I'm glad you are on the mend! BTW, I never did the high waisted panties...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're missing out! The only problem is that the current style of pants has a lower waistband, so it's kind of silly to have the undies peeking out.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I'm sorry your race season this spring is going to be messed up- it would have been fun to see yo at the LA Marathon- but I think you'll feel so much better in the long run. I'm probably not far behind you since I just turned 40... and it seems like everyone I know started having problems in their early 40s. I hope you're up and running soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't have problems!

      Delete